How Does the Invisalign® Treatment Process Work?
With its constantly growing popularity, most of us now know at least a little something about Invisalign aligners. Even so, you may still have questions about how exactly the process works, what the timeline is for Invisalign treatment, and more. At Maison BE Dental Studio in New York, NY, award-winning provider Dr. Ellen Katz is proud to help patients get the smile of their dreams more conveniently and discreetly than ever before with Invisalign treatment. In this blog, we’ll take a closer look at the step-by-step process of Invisalign aligners to ensure you’re comfortable, confident, and well-prepared for your course of treatment.
Why should I get Invisalign treatment vs. metal braces?
First, it’s important to understand a little bit more about the benefits of Invisalign aligners vs. traditional metal braces, as well as who may or may not qualify for Invisalign treatment. While traditional braces are certainly a popular and effective option, some patients may prefer Invisalign aligners for the following reasons:
- Less noticeable
- More convenient
- Clear aligner trays can be taken out to eat, brush, or play an instrument
- More comfortable
- Safer during sports
- Treatment course is often shorter compared with metal braces
Invisalign clear aligners can be used to correct most of the same concerns that can be addressed with metal braces – like crooked teeth, an overbite, and others – though patients with more complex needs or severe orthodontic issues may not be candidates for Invisalign treatment. During an initial consultation for Invisalign aligners in NYC, Dr. Katz will perform a thorough examination, review imaging studies, and determine whether or not Invisalign is right for you.
How does Invisalign work?
Because each patient’s needs are unique, every course of Invisalign treatment is customized. Generally speaking, however, the basic steps of Invisalign treatment include:
- Initial consultation: to evaluate the patient’s needs, perform imaging studies, and obtain the necessary information for creating aligner trays
- Custom clear aligner trays are created: 3-D images are used by the Invisalign lab to create a series of clear aligner trays fit to the patient’s mouth
- Treatment course: patients will wear each set of aligners for about two weeks before switching to the next set, which will gradually straighten their teeth over time
- Refinement trays: at the conclusion of Invisalign treatment, some patients may require refinement trays to address isolated issues that were not fully corrected
How long do you have to wear Invisalign trays each day?
Patients should wear their Invisalign trays for a minimum of 20 – 22 hours per day, including while sleeping. The trays can be removed to eat, and patients should attempt to brush their teeth prior to putting the trays back in place each time.
How long does Invisalign treatment take to work?
The answer will vary based on a number of factors, including how severe the patient’s orthodontic concerns are, how often they wear their aligners, and others. In some cases, mild to moderate issues can be corrected in just 6 – 8 months, while more complex cases may require up to two years of treatment. On average, however, patients can expect their Invisalign treatment course to last for about 12 months.
Hoping for a Hollywood smile of your own? Consider Invisalign aligners in New York, NY
If you have always wanted a straighter smile but didn’t love the idea of traditional metal braces, you may be excited to learn more about Invisalign treatment. To find out if you qualify for Invisalign clear aligners, call Maison BE Dental Studio in New York, NY to schedule your private consultation with distinguished provider Dr. Ellen Katz today.